[OSM-talk] Partnership between OSM and local government?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 21:23:52 BST 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:50:09 -0300, Aun Yngve Johnsen wrote:

> You mean, how would the city council benefit apart from the fact they
> are participating in a free, powerful routable map with loads of
> features? Free worldwide distribution, availability on several types of
> equipment. Software to make everything from local restaurant guides, to
> routable maps with custom warnings.
>
> Besides there are thousands and thousands of volunteers doing the work
> for them, without getting paid, demanding no more than access to the
> finished works.

In short yes ;)

Longer answer:

I really need so spell it out to them what is the advantage for them
locally. To be blunt they probably don't care what we did on Haiti or
other parts of the world, but they would like to know how OSM could be
used locally for our town. Project documentation is clear that they will
support only projects that benefit local population.

Any support we get can't be used to travel somewhere and map there, we
need to collect data locally or use local data in some new and
interesting ways.

That is why I would like to hear from cities that are between
100,000-500,000 population on what projects have they collaborated on
with their city council.

As this is local (not state or EU) government the big emphasis is on
local benefit.

City council doesn't care too much about maps of restaurants, and we
aren't such big city that we need that such specific kind of map because
there are maybe 5-6 decent restaurants any everybody knows them.

Cheers,
Valent.

--
pratite me na twitteru - www.twitter.com/valentt