[OSM-talk] Partnership between OSM and local government?

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 09:48:58 BST 2010

On 22 September 2010 09:34, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 September 2010 18:24, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> > I agree that this may be different if you're dealing with a bueraucracy
> on a
> > national level where you don't try to get them to give the data to you
>
> I'm not sure how much geodata local governments here retain ownership
> over, but the states and federal government seem to control most/all
> of it.

I suspect that it depends from country to country. The situation in France
is that the data is very fragmented at different levels (local, regional,
national), with small towns having sometimes the ownership of their data. We
tend to negotiate to town level or "agglomerations" if we can as well as
higher level, as they all have a different piece of the puzzle.
We have been successful in France in getting data from all different levels
with generally very permissive agreements under the condition that the data
is used only for OpenStreetMap. But at the same time, there is currently a
nice push by governing bodies to use proper licensing ie not creative
commons to release data and I wouldn't be surprised that at some point, some
of those bodies would be using custom crafted database licenses (as it is
becoming the base) or potentially ODbL since it is seen as some as the first
data license capable of protecting the data in the first place.

Emilie Laffray