[OSM-talk] OSM User Testing

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Wed Sep 29 17:12:03 BST 2010

> We need to think of some simple tasks for new users to complete, and we'll
> put them together over on this wiki page. Add a street?

  This sort of study will be interesting to see.   Adding a street today
must be daunting for the newbie.    Despite the "lure of the open road" -
blank areas where roads from new subdivisions have never been created, I've
never seen a new user pop up and add the streets from their own subdivision.
But I have seen people pop up and make single corrections to that evil,
"community-killing TIGER import" - corrections such as breaking a through
street that was never connected, or aligning a road.    People are now aware
of missing streets since the navigation apps use OSM; I see many Skobbler
reports of missing streets.   Hopefully the end result of this study is that
we'll understand how to engage the newbies to help contribute.    Other than
that, the TIGER 2010 data will provide most of the missing streets in the
US, and entered by the core users in the US.