[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] In what direction should OSM go?

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 22:26:35 BST 2010

I think imports *can* be beneficial, but only when handled in a good,
collaborative way.

Imports should involve:

1) local mappers evaluating the datasets / imports on a case-by-case basis
(is the license acceptable, is the data high quality & better than what osm
mappers can do - e.g. building footprints, does the import eliminate
duplication of effort thus freeing osm mappers to spend time on collecting
other details that we/they desire)  Local government data tends to be the
best, but that's a general statement and case-by-case decision needs to be
made.

2) local mappers collaborating with and inviting the data holder / "owner" /
government agency to get involved with OSM (the data contributions are a way
to bring these folks in), invite them to mapping parties, do workshops with
their staff, etc., and ideally form a working relationship that benefits
both OSM (we get updates from them) and the data holder (e.g. they can get
updates from OSM)

3) local mappers, taking chunks of data, evaluating it, deciding to import,
and integrating it with existing OSM data, and updating/maintaining it

Mappers in the Washington DC area are working with the DC government GIS
folks on integrating the city's GIS data into OSM.  DC has a good, growing
community of mappers (many who have GIS backgrounds and understand how to
work with the data).

[I'm also cool with having the partner be a national agency like the Census
Bureau or the USGS, if we can also manage a good working relationship]

We could do better, but we are working to invite people to get involved with
OSM, including city DC GIS folks.  We are also working to invite local
business organizations (e.g. business districts) and community
organizations, staff of the National Zoo (where we are doing mapping
parties) to join us, and generally making a *buzz* about what we are doing
so people know about OSM and get interested.

I think the combination of well-managed imports and community activities is
a good, healthy thing.

Cheers,
Katie