[OSM-talk] Okay, this is just cool (Lockport, NY)

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 00:30:15 BST 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:07 AM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 April 2011 00:59, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One more argument in Pieren's favour: OSM is not for profit. On
>> Slashdot a court case was recently mentioned where the judge ruled in
>> favour of a non profit who copied a complete article from a
>> copyrighted journal.
>
> Right, but I think we can stop discussing copyright as in this case
> Google is using their Terms of Use which is more like contract than
> copyright license.

Do you honestly think Google will risk taking legal action on the
basis that it's a contract ? Suppose it turns out that person A asks
person B for the name of a certain street. Person B obtains the Street
View image with his phone and shows it to A. A is either not aware
that it's a streetview image or perhaps does not even know what Street
View is. So Google can only sue B for breach of contract. They can't
compel OSM to delete the data.