[OSM-talk] We Need to Stop Google's Exploitation of Open Communities

Bernhard Zwischenbrugger bz at datenkueche.com
Mon Apr 11 23:52:56 BST 2011

>     If you don't mind about being open, why are you not just using
>     Google's data already?
>

> Hello,
>
> thank you for your insightful comment, I will move immediately to
> Google and start using their data directly. Can you point out to me
> where I can access their data so I can make an efficient use of them?
Where can I access the OSM data?

I know it is possible to download the hole planet, setup a database,...
but that's not an easy task.

I'm a teacher and my students are able to load data from an API and
display the data on a map.
Last year we did some projects using XAPI - but then xapi was broken.

We had about 100 API Requests per week. For that amount of requests it
makes no sense to have a local copy of the db.
But without db we are not able to read osm data.

Without data everything is tile based and that's the same as google and
bing are offering.
MapQuest is offering XAPI now - but will it still be available in 2 month?

Bernhard