[OSM-talk] OSM is dying

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Tue Apr 12 05:10:24 BST 2011

Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 18:51 +0200, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> 2011/4/11 Dermot McNally <dermotm at gmail.com>:
>>> OSM is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim.
>>> If OSM is to survive at all it will be among bearded hippies too
>>> behind the times to have discovered Waze. OSM continues to
>>> decay. Nothing short of a cockeyed miracle could save OSM from its
>>> fate at this point in time. For all practical purposes, OSM is
>>> dead.
>>

>> While I guess this was meant to be satirical there is indeed a problem
>> with active contributors not growing any more since 17/08/2009
>
> well I was very active, but there is nothing left to do

Really?  Nothing left to do?  I ran some quick checks on a local copy of
about 4 US states and found that 74% of it HAD NEVER BEEN EDITED after
the initial Tiger import.  That means it's UNROUTABLE in most cases, due
to the way the data was imported county-by-county.

Meanwhile, in the last month or so I've seen discussions on the tagging
list about surveillance cameras, bicycle shops, and oil wells.  I'm not
saying OSM shouldn't include those things eventually, but I do think
that routable roads are a benefit to far more users.
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \