[OSM-talk] CC-BY-SA still available? (was: OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 Pre-Announcement)

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 15:28:11 BST 2011

On 13 April 2011 15:15, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> What's the plan for deciding whether and when to cut off CC-BY-SA distribution?
> Would it require a 2/3 vote of contributors?

I guess the problem with continuing to allow CC distribution of the
data is that that would leave OSM unprotected in those jurisdictions
where CC isn't recognised for map data. Given that this is a main goal
of the change, it seems that removing CC as a possible licence (for
the data at least - it might be that it would be OK for map tiles)
can't be avoided.

That said, under the new CT, the door seems to remain open to a
reintroduction of a (later version, improved?) CC licence if such were
deemed to be Free and Open and subject to the 2/3 mandate.

Dermot