[OSM-talk] CC-BY-SA still available?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Apr 14 15:48:08 BST 2011

Hi Anthony,

Anthony wrote:
>> I guess the problem with continuing to allow CC distribution of the
>> data is that that would leave OSM unprotected in those jurisdictions
>> where CC isn't recognised for map data.
>
> 1) What jurisdictions would that be?
> 2) If the license isn't recognized, doesn't everything revert to "all
> rights reserved"?

You're new to the project obviously. Welcome! If you're interested in
the background story to the license change, and why we consider CC
unsuitable, I recommend that you read the archives of the legal-talk
list (see http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/legal-talk) as well as
the various Wiki articles (you'll notice the license change banner on
wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki right away).

If, thereafter, any questions remain, you can ask then on the legal-talk
list and I'm sure they will be promptly answered.

Bye
Frederik