[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 begins Sunday

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 19:34:24 BST 2011

On 14 April 2011 18:26, john whelan <jwhelan0112 en gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately I some of my edits used some sources that looked fine under
> the for CC-by-SA terms but on closer inspection of the ODBL terms, which was
> done after I blindly followed the advice of another contributor, I am not at
> all comfortable that the work would stand up legally for CC-by-ODBL terms.
> I can give a date before which I was not so careful and would very much
> prefer any edits done before this time to be deleted or are you saying I'm
> now legally liable for the content of OSM even though I am aware some data
> does not meet the ODBL terms and I have no way out of this?

Under the Contributor Terms 1.2.4 I believe it will be the
OpenStreetMap Foundation's responsibility to remove such data before
switching the license, you will not be liable.  Until then the data
will only be distributed under CC-By-SA and you can accept these new
Contributor Terms by which you would be granting OSMF only the rights
which you are able to grant.

I'm not sure if my interpretation is correct and if it's not then I
would like to know the correct interpretation to be able to give an
answer to people asking about this in non-English forums.

Cheers