[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 Pre-Announcement

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Apr 14 22:10:40 BST 2011

Hi,

Alex Ruddick wrote:
> I am of exactly the same mind of NEII on this.  When the OSMF holds the
> gun to my head, I will eventually Accept.  Until then, I'd like to keep
> my 'data vote' opposed in order to slow down the impending train wreck
> as long as possible.

Do you expect any positive outcome from this, or is it for moral reasons
that you choose this course of action?

There are regions in OSM where a visible "no" vote will lead to your
data being re-surveyed and replaced by other contributors rather
quickly. I can only hope that this is not the case in your area because
otherwise what you plan to do will yield the worst possible outcome -
others duplicating the efforts you have put in (instead of using their
time for something more productive), and you being miffed because your
contributions have been removed before you had the chance to redecide.

> My contributions aren't as numerous as his
> <http://hdyc.neis-one.org/?NE2>, but if removed they would set my area
> back a half-decade.

How so, if it has only taken you three years ;)?

> If NEII's (and others) are removed, we can add the
> United States to Australia as 'countries the OSMF is willing to sacrifice.'

It's a hard language to use. We don't want to lose any contributors, and
we don't want to lose any data either. I don't want to compare OSM to a
hill of mindless ants each of whom just execute their genetic
programming; I believe that OSM works precisely because we're all
individuals and contribute our own ideas, our style, our quirks. Every
contributor is uniqe and (with very, very little exceptions) every
contributor adds something valuable to OSM. Still, in the grand scheme
of things, no single contributor is irreplaceable. Rip something out
(and shed a couple tears about the love that went into it and is now
lost to OSM) - it will grow back in time, and bring with it new people,
a new community rallied to the cause.

We're not "sacrificing countries". We saw that we have built our project
on (legal) sand, and we're moving to rectify the situation. The patient
may lose some tissue about this but he will live, and after the wounds
have healed, will be healthier than before.

I'm talking all flowery because this is the talk list. If you want hard
facts, go to legal-talk.

Bye
Frederik