[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 Pre-Announcement

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Thu Apr 14 22:17:36 BST 2011

On 14 April 2011 21:46, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 20:10:19 +0100
> Grant Slater <openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:
>
>> I am sure there are going to be a few cases where difficult decisions
>> are going to have to be made. We will not have been the only open
>> source project to have had to make these sorts of decisions. The OSM
>> Foundation being the legal entity which represents us will have to
>> decide case by case (and possibly a changeset by changeset) when
>> presented with these sorts of difficult choices.
>
> I did read the conditions on sign-up. "OSM Foundation being the legal
> legal entity which represents us" did not appear.
> The only correct statement remains that OSMF owns the servers.

How else would you define the foundation?

The OSMF is a not-for-profit company registered in England and Wales,
the foundation has no paid staff and it is made up exclusively of
unpaid volenteers. The OSMF board is made up of democratically elected
volenteers. I am not an OSMF apologist, the OSMF definitely does have
warts like: Where are the Board Minutes for the last few months? or
what happend to the GPS2Go program?... and other gripes... But I am
reminded they are volenteers, if I want a better "service", I could
offer to help rather than chastice their fumblings.

Regards
 Grant aka Firefishy.
 Part of Sysadmin Team, LWG Member, Data Working Group, Server "order"
guy, van driver and mapper.