[OSM-talk] CC-BY-SA still available?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Apr 15 17:03:38 BST 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> He knows perfectly well, because he has been told a thousand
> times, that one of the countries where CC-BY-SA doesn't work for our data is
> his country of residence, the USA.

Being told something is not equivalent to knowing it.  There is
absolutely no evidence that "CC isn't recognised for map data" in the
United States.

> He has gone on record, multiple times,
> saying that he likes the CC-BY-SA precisely because he belives that it
> doesn't work.

I'm not sure what you mean by the intentionally ambiguous phrase
"doesn't work".  CC-BY-SA works exactly as intended.  In fact, the
license even explicitly states its intent:  "Nothing in this License
is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any uses free from copyright
or rights arising from limitations or exceptions that are provided for
in connection with the copyright protection under copyright law or
other applicable laws."

In any case, my question was what jurisdiction does not recognize CC
for map data.

> I think my message was entirely in order. Even a newbie could be expected to
> read at least a few articles of background on our Wiki before engaging in a
> discussion. Anyone reading e.g.
> http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Why_CC_BY-SA_is_Unsuitable would
> immediately be informed that the USA is one of the countries in which
> CC-BY-SA won't work for our data.

Again with the intentionally ambiguous phrase "won't work".  And
again, being told something is not equivalent to knowing it.

> As you probably know, Anthony's account on OSM has been terminated because
> he openly boasted about violating copyright.

That is completely untrue.