[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 begins Sunday

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:04:41 BST 2011

What worries me here is that there are all these versions of the document,
the licenses etc. How are you going to deal with different people agreeing
to different contracts at different times?

mike

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 7:08 AM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 14 April 2011 21:06, David Groom <reviews at pacific-rim.net> wrote:
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "andrzej zaborowski" <
> balrogg at gmail.com>
> >> Under the Contributor Terms 1.2.4 I believe it will be the
> >> OpenStreetMap Foundation's responsibility to remove such data before
> >> switching the license, you will not be liable.  Until then the data
> >> will only be distributed under CC-By-SA and you can accept these new
> >> Contributor Terms by which you would be granting OSMF only the rights
> >> which you are able to grant.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if my interpretation is correct and if it's not then I
> >> would like to know the correct interpretation to be able to give an
> >> answer to people asking about this in non-English forums.
> >
> > see this thread (in particular Fracis Davey's comments) on the legal talk
> > mailing list
> >
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2011-April/005915.html
>
> So my understanding now, from Francis' comment, is that CC-By-SA and
> CC-By are not compatible (you can't accept the CTs if you've
> contributed data obtained under those licenses, without infringing
> those licenses?), but ODbL for example might be compatible with CT
> although it's not compaitble with the current OSM's license.  But it
> might be in the future.
>
> Is that correct?  Is that also the intent of the CTs 1.2.4?  I think
> it would be good to have a "human readable" form of this document
> written by its authors.
>
> I haven't read the CC-By-SA license "code" in this context but I'm
> reading in Francis' response that there's something in it that makes
> it not compatible.
>
> Cheers

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania flossk.org
flossal.org