[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 Pre-Announcement

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 01:09:25 BST 2011

Dermot McNally wrote:

> FWIW I would have favoured earlier specific requests for a vote, but
> it's basically been an impossible position for the LWG from what I can
> see as an outsider.

No, the vote part really isn't that difficult. Wikipedia managed to hold a
vote on their licensing change. In fact the Contributor terms states a
procedure to hold a vote for a licensing change. Just that LWG appears to
have decides to apply those rules only for a future license change and not
for the current one. (Which legally seems well within the current CTs)

It would still be perfectly possible to follow the rules that are specified
in the CT for a license change, for the current proposed change as well.

Dermot McNally wrote:

> But mappers who just plain _won't_ agree to leave their data in, even
> though there is no legal obstacle to it, should strongly consider
> whether they are being true to the community they claim to be a part
> of.

Until there is a clear vote of the community to determine what they want it
is impossible to say which side of the debate is "true to the community". At
the moment, we simply don't know. And so it is unhelpful to accuse long time
OSM enthusiasts as not being "true to the community" because they disagree
with your opinion. Many of them have the community just as much at hart as
the proponents. They just disagree or are unsure on the effects this change
will have on it.

Kai