[OSM-talk] question for folks working on routing engines

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sat Apr 16 04:25:40 BST 2011

On 4/15/11 11:16 PM, John Smith wrote:
> On 16 April 2011 00:36, Richard Welty<rwelty at averillpark.net>  wrote:
>> i ask this because in NY, the default speed limit in rural areas is 55
>> on all roads. there are numerous unpaved roads (dirt, gravel) which
>> do not have posted speed limits, but where driving at 55 is not
>> reasonable unless you're a rally driver and the road is closed.
> Pfft, I was taught to drive on gravel roads, and they can be perfectly
> safe to drive on at 100km/hr in places, but you have to be familiar
> with the stretch of road you're on and drive for the condition etc.

and you know, i have rally & racing experience, and 70 mph on dirt doesn't
scare me, but i'm not every driver and you haven't seen these roads.

what i'm after are parameters so that the routing engines present
rational results to drivers who aren't me. so why don't we focus on
the actual problem in front of us instead of posturing about our
driving skills.

richard