[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 Pre-Announcement

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 08:30:03 BST 2011

On 16 April 2011 07:00, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> Why does the ODbL faction not start with a fork of ODbL compliant data?
> Why do they need to force a split of the existing CC-by-SA data?

A lot of the differences of opinion on this matter are finding
expression in the words people choose to use to describe the different
points of view. I found your use of "faction" interesting enough to
check some dictionary definitions of the word. Here's one I found
particularly apt:

1.	a group of people forming a minority within a larger body, esp a
dissentious group

So let's see which point of view ends up mainstream and which belongs
to a dissenting minority. So far, as I look at the volume of map data,
as I look at the vast majority of the people who have built and
maintained the map and the infrastructure on which it runs, what I see
is people who, sometimes with misgivings, are throwing their weight
behind the licence change. Among such people I see unity of purpose.

Opposition to the change seems to stem from a number of disparate of
often contradictory reasons, none of which I personally find
compelling. What I can not with any seriousness regard the opposition
I have seen as is "the mainstream". It is on the anti-change side that
I see not one faction, but several.

Others may not (yet) share my view, and should observe the rate at
which the remaining community votes yes and no. Nothing in this
process will remove the freedom from anybody to continue to use the
data already mapped exactly as they always have, nor to continue
maintaining a data set under those terms. But if The Community should
be seen to support the licence change, I will see it as irresponsible
for individual mappers to take their ball and go home just because
they can.

Dermot