[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 Pre-Announcement

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 08:42:00 BST 2011

On 16 April 2011 08:31, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> So has anyone asked the FOSS gurus of licensing?
> I have never seen it mentioned while I was subscribed to legal-talk. I
> am quite prepared to start writing emails (phrased neutrally) requesting
> an opinion if these people have not been asked before.
>
> If then the opinion is that the new licence has merit, we then need
> work on how the contract provisions "fit in" with other legal codes not
> just those derived from either the Westminster or Napoleonic codes.

How long have you been in this discussion, Elizabeth? Quite a while,
according to my recollection. Given that you seem to now see a
requirement for this kind of validation, I find it strange that you
wouldn't have sought it at a much earlier stage than this. Normally
abject opposition should come after, not before, "neutral" appraisal
of the proposal, shouldn't it?

Dermot