[OSM-talk] CC-BY-SA still available?

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sun Apr 17 22:49:49 BST 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 12:16 +0200, Michael Collinson wrote:
> If we make the numbers, then these new users are unaffected.
>
> If we do not, new users are still unaffected, they have agreed to the
> use of either CC-BY-SA or ODbL.

What about a case for example of a mapper who wants to map the
flood/cyclone disaster areas in Australia?  The 'new mappers' are
affected as they dont have the right to use any of our data sources as
they have already agreed to incompatible terms.  The 'old mappers' are
affected because they have the right to use the disaster aerial imagery,
but OSM has removed their right to contribute data back.

Sure, in the long term, these 'new users' are unaffected, but if they
want to use data sources right now, they may not be able to.  But thats
okay, Im sure Bing will start giving away 3cm imagery for our country
soon (or maybe we should just settle with 15cm imagery (if lucky) that
provides blotchy coverage like they give us at the moment, after all, if
we're going to shoo away data providers who are giving us better quality
information, then its about all we deserve to have as a community.

David