[OSM-talk] License graph

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 18:35:07 BST 2011

On 18 Apr 2011, at 16:46, Toby Murray wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/4/18 David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au>:
>>> If you want to represent these important figures in statistics, can you
>>> at least use a common scale to avoid distorting peoples views of the
>>> figures?  Using deceptive graphing methods was a trick we were taught
>>> back in school as a child.  It doesnt make your figures look any better,
>>

>> It makes them readable. If you used the same scale you won't see the
>> handful of no-votes against the 10000 yes-votes.
>
> Yes, this is why I used a different axis for both values. Otherwise
> the "accept" would be a straight line across the top and the "decline"
> would be a straight line across the bottom of the graph. Not very
> useful.
>
> I am using zabbix to make the graphs. Like I said, it is targeted at
> system monitoring, not statistical analysis. Hence, the scales change
> based on the available data to maximize the viewability of the data.
>
> If someone wants, I might be able to produce a data dump so you can
> make your own graphs. Zabbix stores it as a timestamp and a value in a
> mysql database.

While I agree that there is a problem with the no votes disapearing if you show the whole graph, it would be useful to show the same *range* on each scale.

I.e., as we are currently showing 10300 - 10900 on the yes scale, show 0 to 600 on the no scale.  This will give a much clearer indication of the trend.

Bob