[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 Pre-Announcement

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Apr 19 03:16:10 BST 2011

2011/4/18 Dirk-Lüder Kreie <osm-list at deelkar.net>:

I should note that I find the bulk of your email to be reasonable and
thoughtful, whether I agree with specific points or not.  So it
appears now that I'm picking on you by singling out one point from
your reasonable email.  Sorry.  :-)

[ ... ]
> (Have someone
> copy a small amount of user generated CC-By-SA-Map to PD Project and set
> a precedent in Court, I'm almost certain you'd get money from the OSMF
> legal fund to get that cleared.)

That seems like a poor use of the limited OSMF funds.  I'd rather see
outreach, servers, bandwidth and other things before seeing our
donations go to lawyers for a test case.  Funding both sides (!) of a
vigorous litigation, is likely to be a $200,000 bill at a rock-bottom
bare minimum.  It's likely to go to millions on each side.  And the
litigation must be vigorous and competent and complete, because one
can not just agree to a settlement between friendly parties and expect
that to carry weight as a precedent.

I would hope that the OSM community would agree and not give serious
consideration to funding a test case.

Again, I apologize for focusing on this single point from your email.