[OSM-talk] New Logo in the Wiki

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Apr 30 17:17:05 BST 2011

Martijn,

Martijn van Exel wrote:
> I'd have to concur. Firstly, a new logo is not something you roll out on
> its own, it's part of a new 'corporate identity'

To be honest, if SWG started forming a "corporate identity subcommittee"
I'd probably run away screaming. (They would provide local chapters with
little brochures explaining how much space there must be between the
logo and any text, and which Pantone colours exactly to use for the
logo. Nothing else will do!) Next, we'll have to hire a web designer and
an usability consultant, and a PR company craft press releases about how
OSM is "reinventing location" and other bullshit bingo top hits.

To continue that on the technical side, any change we make would have to
be announced one year in advance to that nobody's mission-critical
application can fail. We would have to hire full-time technical staff
and implement "frozen zones" to make sure that our systems are perfectly
oiled at critical times, etc. etc. etc. - goodbye OSM Foundation, hello
OSM Corporation.

I like the haphazard way in which things are done around here. And I'm
not saying this tongue-in-cheek, I really do. It gives me hope that
we're not yet in a situation where every improvement has to go through
some sort of complicated three-level approval process.

Bye
Frederik