[OSM-talk] Id stability

Claus Stadler cstadler at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Aug 1 08:32:40 BST 2011

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

 >> I believe Richard F has made comments in the past that we shouldn't
do this

Well, I don't know about the discussion yet, maybe you could give me a
hint for which subject to search for?
I just want to mention, that for Wikipedia there exists an analysis
about the conceptual (=meaning) stability  their URLs[1]:
 > 90% of Wikipedia URLs are stable identifiers, and a further ~5%
change in meaning only slightly. (Figure 2)[1]
So I am eager to know what the counter arguments were :)

Anyway, the reason I ask is: if someone did this analysis (and maybe the
implementation of a tool for persistent ids) for OpenStreetMap as a part
of his master thesis, would he be doing duplicate work (as maybe there
are already plans for creating such system)? and if so: where can I find
related work?

If there are no plans yet, could anyone who is aware of discussions on
this topic give me some pointers?

Thank you in advance and cheers,
Claus

[1] Hepp et. al, Harvesting Wiki Consensus - Using Wikipedia Entries as
Ontology Elements, ESWC 2006