[OSM-talk] Id stability

Gregor Horvath gregor at ediwo.com
Tue Aug 2 16:14:13 BST 2011

Am Tue, 2 Aug 2011 16:55:20 +0200
schrieb Ture Pålsson <ture at lysator.liu.se>:

> 2011/8/2 Gregor Horvath <gregor at ediwo.com>:
>
> > OSM provides uri's to ID's which are linked to names of
> > physical objects. Example:
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1381574156
>
> But these objects often make no sense in the real world!

Correct.
Because all the URI above says is that there is a node with an
ID 1381574156. It does not say anything about a physical object at all.
And that is a good thing, because actually the node is only a point on a
map.

Now if this node (point on a map) is replaced with another one by a
fellow mapper (for whatever reason), I think it would be a progress if
ID 1381574156 points to the new node instead of vanishing.

This has absolutely nothing to do with physical objects or OSM to be a
database of things.

--
Greg