[OSM-talk] Proposal superseded_by tag for ID stabilisation

Gregor Horvath gregor at ediwo.com
Fri Aug 5 05:15:56 BST 2011

Hi Steve,

Am Thu, 4 Aug 2011 10:56:49 +1000
schrieb Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:

> In general I think there's some value in what you're describing here,
> not just for id stability, but in better understanding the history and
> provenance of objects, which helps with attributing authorship. Some
> sort of more generic meta-tagging scheme might be good (superseded_by
> could easily be interpreted as referring to the actual physical
> objects, not the OSM objects), so maybe something like osm:new_id=xxx,
> osm:merge_into=xxx etc.

I am not a native English speaker, so if new_id is better than
superseded_by than I vote for new_id.

Regarding the added semantics I am very cautious. Because it will be
impossible to model all semantics of ID meaning changes that possibly
exist.
I would prefer to stick with the simplest possible solution and that is
provide a dirt simple replacement link for a deleted (for whatever
reason) object.

--
Greg