[OSM-talk] Moving Map on Netbook?

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Thu Aug 11 10:32:02 BST 2011

Frederik Ramm <frederik <at> remote.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
>     I'd like to use my netbook to show a moving map. Assuming that I
> somehow get gpsd hooked up and delivering position reports[*], what
> software can I use?

There has been done some work for turning OpenJUMP into a moving map
application. The basic work was done by Edgar Soldin last year and it sort of a
tutorial is at
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jump-pilot/index.php?title=GPS_Plugin

The base map can come from any source supported by OpenJUMP: georeferenced
rasters images, WMS server, shapefiles or a database. I have used it with a
combination of OSM vectors drawn from PostGIS on top of a base map rendered with
a local WMS server (Mapserver). Tiles are not supported because OpenJUMP does
not support them. Map is very flexible because user can select free set of
rasters, WMS layers and vectors for the project and adjust the visibility of
each layer. Data does not need to be only OSM data. Or perhaps other way, OSM
data must be translated into a raster map or some GIS format first. I have been
using osm2pgsql for that. When data is imported with the hstore option I can get
what ever OSM data I want on a moving map by creating layers with SQL query.

Moving map does not look very good at the moment because base map and GPS
location cursor are updated together. However, I have scheduled a little project
with Ede so that location cursor could be updated independently from the base
map. That would be approximatele one weeks work.

OpenJUMP is not at all nice to use on the move because of the user interface
which is planned for desktop GIS. I have tried to use it with Windows tablet but
most of the icons are muct too small to be usable. But OpenJUMP is GPL and Java
so here might be people capable to do further development.

-Jukka Rahkonen-