[OSM-talk] alternative to navit on windows CE

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:29:14 BST 2011

Another good option for an offline routing application is mapFactor Navigator
Free ( http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/ ). It runs on Windows PCs,
Windows Mobile devices and Windows CE devices. The latter covering pretty
much any current or older PND apart from Garmin and TomTom.

Navigator Free is a closed source application with a closed data format, so
you can only get map updates from them. However, they do seem to regularly
provide updates and have a decent selection of countries available and it is
completely free of charge.

On the plus side, coming from an established commercial routing provider,
the overall quality seems fairly high and appears to be one of the most user
friendly and polished programs I have seen so far (although for a lack of an
iPhone or Android, I haven't seen any of those applications yet).

They do also seem to listen and participate on the OSM forums (e.g.
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=9840 ) to try and improve
the way they handle OSM data and keep up with tagging schemas.

Nevertheless routing with OSM in general (and most routing software in
particular) is currently still not always without its issues.

Kai

P.S. another option is to e.g. install a JVM ( e.g.
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/1 ) on your PND device and run
one of the javaME based navigation programs (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Software/J2ME ) like GpsMid (
http://gpsmid.sourceforge.net/ ), although the overall process is not the
easiest or most user friendly option.