[OSM-talk] Automatic Map Plotting in OpenStreetMap

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Sun Aug 14 21:08:45 BST 2011

On 14.08.2011 20:49, Parveen Arora wrote:
> Yes It can be possible, but still I am suspicious about it, that why
> any one from any other country will map this city.
> I have also noticed some more cities with similar type of mappings in
> a very short time.
He uploaded GPS tracks that are tagged with "Ballia Substation
Darbhanga", others with "Varanasi".
As I never heard of these before I checked wikipedia which told me this
is located in India.

So I can only guess that this user feels "connected" to India and tries
to improve OSM there.

"Armchair mapper" refers to people mapping from the comfort of their
living room without actually going outside. Can be used in a neutral as
well as in an offensive way.
Refer to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armchair
"Armchair, a pejorative modifier to refer to a person who experiences
something vicariously rather than first-hand, or to a casual critic who
lacks practical experience, in phrases such as armchair revolutionary,
armchair general, armchair quarterback, armchair architect, armchair
warrior, and so on."

> There are two lines written on his user page which are in german
> language. So he can be from german.
It's reading you can send a message he won't bite.

Stephan