[OSM-talk] Investigating Changesets. (repost from help)

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 01:11:26 BST 2011

Does anyone have any scripts, manual methods or just tips that will
help in investigating a changeset? I find it very hard to understand
what it happening in a changset, it's easy to get an suspicion that
something is amiss but it's very hard to dig deeper.

The only two things I've find was:

   * OSM history/changeset Vizualizer which give was to little information
   * osmdiff which needs .osm files before and after the changeset

Take this changeset on OSM main site and on OSM History Vizualizer,
it's very hard to figure out exactly what happend. (I'm not pointing
fingers at the creator of the changeset, I just haven't been bothered
to find a changeset where I have recreated and removed lots of stuff.)

So to restate some questions.

  1. what do you look for when you look at a changeset?
  2. is there a way to create the before.osm and after.osm files
given a changeset ID. (to make osmdiff happy)
  3. is there a similar changeset viewer like the one on the main
site, that doesn't make you click "next page" all the time.?

http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/7077/investigating-changesets

--
/emj