[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler employees

Jim Brown jim at cloudmade.com
Thu Aug 25 15:09:09 BST 2011

I almost hesitate to jump in, but I'd like to give the perspective from Cloudmade that I think is probably mirrored in skobbler.

In Cloudmade staff are passionate about OSM and mapping.  Many of the staff wanted to join OSMF 2 years ago and we encouraged that.  And we got the same reaction from some parts of the community.

However, I can clearly state that my team (and most of them were my team) would have told me to f#%k off if I even tried to tell them how to map, hack or vote.

The employees of Cloudmade are as diverse a set of mappers as any other group of OSM members and it was down right rude at that time to view them as corporate surrogates being directed to some sinister goal.  They may share some common concerns but so do lots of other collections of people in OSM.

In short I think the same thing is happening to the individuals at skobbler who are probably wondering now (like my guys did in the past) why the hell did I bother getting involved?

My $0.02 only.

Jim Brown
CTO - CloudMade
Jim at cloudmade.com