[OSM-talk] Tag 'is_in' workable ?

Aurélien FILEZ kinju59 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:53:16 BST 2011

Hi list,

Here's a node that reprendre the center of a city in France :
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/26698384

We cannot know in which country is this city. because 'France' in the
'is_in' tag can reference to a district name or I don't know. Also, it's
difficult to exploit (we have to parse, to compare etc., it's not
productive).

As the tag 'admin_level' is finished (from 1 to 10), why not propose tags
admin_level1 to admin_level10 for nodes and ways in order to retreive the
country/region/department/district of a node or a way in a precise way ?

Thank you all,
Aurélien