[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler employees

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 07:25:05 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 1:13 AM, Barnett, Phillip <PHILLIP.BARNETT at itn.co.uk
> wrote:

> >The OSMF had an obligation, under the UK data protection laws, to preserve
> the confidentiality of >personal information.  It would have been a breach
> of confidence to make it public at the time.
>

>  Not so.
>
>  UK Data Protection laws exist to safeguard 'personal' data. Saying that '
> there has been a large number of applications for OSMF membership by people
> who appear to be employees of Apple ' for instance, is perfectly in order -
> you are not releasing any 'personal data' UNLESS you also released, say,
> email addresses and names of the people, which can personally identify them,
> perhaps to back up your assertion.

Saying 'a large number of applications from CloudMade' would have been
effectively the same as naming the members.  You'd only need to look here
http://web.archive.org/web/20090524055747/http://cloudmade.com/team to have
a pretty good idea of who was a member.

The important point is that we didn't reveal this information.  We saw an
irregularity and investigated.  We concluded that all the applications were
bona-fide and they should be allowed as members.  I've no idea whether they
subsequently voted and I don't really care.

What I do care about is that Jim Brown is making an assertion that this was
done because CloudMade employees wanted passionately to join OSMF.  This is
what I'm calling him out on.

Jim, do you still maintain that a large number of CloudMade employees and
associates all spontaneously decided to join OSMF within one twenty-four
hour period?

80n