[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler employees

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Aug 26 13:08:18 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 7:08 AM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> Interestingly, when we converted an organisation recently to an official
> Charity under UK law, the Charity Commission wanted us to make it a
> requirement that the full membership list (names and home addresses) was
> available on demand to any member who requests it. That is the default
> position of their model constitution for charities. This seemed to us very
> odd indeed, quite contrary to Data Protection principles.

Seems to me most of you are misinterpreting the Data Protection Act.
Where do you get the idea that it would stop you from revealing the
membership of a charity?  The laws of most jurisdictions provide the
exact opposite - that the names and addresses of non-profit
organization members is public knowledge.