[OSM-talk] Mapnik rendering labels for unrecognised tags

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 08:36:19 BST 2011

Anthony wrote:
> Sounds good.  I don't think storing these in OSM, with the
> non-overlapping tags, is harmful.  While I'd love to see them in a
> separate database or at least a separate layer, the fact of the matter
> is that separate database and/or separate layer hasn't yet really been
> implemented.

This is the real problem!
With more and more historic mapping material coming on line, and what seems like
little support for the start_date/end_date tagging of physical objects that we
have fairly accurate data on when they did make an appearance or when they were
redeveloped, linking to other data sources where this information can be stored
would at least allow it's integration?

And the creation of 'temporary' layers where material is being worked on but has
not yet been fully integrated would also seem to be a way forward even for
general mapping?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL