[OSM-talk] Moderating / Quality checking OSM contributions -- was: Re: OSmosa.net run now.., contribution model

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 7 14:04:54 GMT 2011

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 13:58:30 +0100
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/12/7 mick <bareman at tpg.com.au>:
> >> Martijn van Exel wrote:
> >> That's an interesting thought, but part of the excitement of
> >> contributing to OSM is the instant gratification of seeing your own
> >> improvements on the map and being able to share your knowledge with
> >> the world right away. Having new contributors make their first
> >> contributions in a sandbox environment takes away a lot of that
> >> excitement. Moreover, I think it's important for novices to feel the
> >> responsibility and power of
> >> editing a live database, something they will only be able to
> >> appreciate if they actually do it.
>

> +1
>

> > The logic?? behind my suggestion for a sandbox is that, especially in the earliest stages is that the stupid mistakes can be made and a form of instant gratification is presented by the dummy server/site which is running a sacrificial subset of OSM.
>

> there is AFAIK a sandbox on the devserver, but I agree with Martijn:
> better start with learning responsibility and edit the real data.
>

> >> Sure, they will make mistakes at first. Everyone does. It's no big
> >> deal, as long as people are willing to improve and learn. I for one am
> >> glad that not many of my early 2007 edits are still around.
> >
> > I have to admit that my idea of a dummy or testing/learning server would help me with my own project - mapping of historic objects that may only remain as stains and other archaeology under the ground, such as Roman Roads, Marching Camps etc.
>

> interesting. I suggest you have a look at the keys
> historic:civilization,
> historic=road/archaeological_site/aqueduct/tomb/..., ruins=yes

I have been including items with those tags but a lot of what I'm seeking to map is only visible to geophysical survey or archaeological digs therefore not eligible for inclusion on OSM.

I am starting with OSM data as a base layer to tie the details onto and as a source of data.

I thought using a discrete OSM like server would save me having to reinvent the wheel, particularly if others felt an urge to share.

mick