[OSM-talk] [OpenStreetMap Serbia] Naming issues in kosovo

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 11 11:37:14 GMT 2011

Well, I am personally going to just give up on the serbian enclaves
(and serbian dominated northern kosovo) and invoke the
Map on the ground rule.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes#On_the_Ground_Rule

In those places that the Republic of Kosovo Gov has installed new
multilingual signs, those areas we will continue to map as such. In
those areas where they still have the old signs and the people
consider themselves part of serbia, there is no point in giving them a
different name.  Our job as mappers is not to change the world, but to
map it as it is.

About the border, I think that people need to stop messing with the
admin levels, leave them as level 2. I have brought this up with the
DWG. but if you cannot stop yourselves, at least pick a level and not
randomly change it between 3 and 4.

thanks,
mike

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Dragutin Cvetkovic
<drazha at maildrome.com> wrote:
> Nothing, Kosovo territory is under dispute, as we are all very aware,
> of, ergo, this is in line of the OSM policy.
> If you ask me, UN1244 is pretty clear on this matter and as such
> Serbian should be primary anyway on all toponyms... But I guess I have
> better things to do in my life then go against professional trolls.
>
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Mike  Dupont
> <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Just a heads up, I have tried to write to the dwg, but I have not been
>> able to figure this out yet.
>>
>> there is a user :
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SkyBon/edits
>>
>> who is busy changing all the names: