[OSM-talk] Smartphone app to OSM

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 23:03:32 GMT 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> That looks like an exceedingly useful app. Interesting to see OSM
> editing software appear on the Win Phone platform.
> Does something similar exist for other platforms? I mean a simple,
> single purpose app to add or improve POI data. I'm particularly
> interested in an Android app.

Mapzen POI collector is available for android. There is currently a
problem with authorizing it through oauth though. Seems it might
actually be a bug in a Ruby library. Important people are aware:
http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/9412/mapzen-unable-to-log-in

OsmAnd can also do simple POI adding/editing. In addition to
classifying the place (amenity=* or whatever) it only supports the
name and opening_hours tags.

I also just saw a request for a feature in Vespucci that might make it
usable for this kind of thing. Someone was requesting they create a
custom intent that would allow other apps to open up Vespucci and
pre-load a given area from the API. Still a pretty hard to use
interface for people who don't live and breathe the OSM data model
though. The feature request can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/issues/detail?id=94

Toby