[OSM-talk] Transition to CC-4 instead of destroying data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Dec 14 07:56:55 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 12/14/11 05:51, Steve Bennett wrote:
>> Changing to ODbL or CC4 (possibly in the future) does not change the
>> presence of the Contributor Terms.
>
> Is it possible to migrate from CC3 to CC4 without CTs?

Possible generally - I believe so. Advisable for us - I believe not.

Only recently a legal analysis was posted by Ed Avis that came to the
conclusion that while CC-BY-SA 2.0 may be fine for data, CTs really are
required - which, assuming we take it at face value, would mean that
even if we decided to remain with CC licenses, the whole "agree to the
CT or we have to discontinue distributing your data" thing would still
be upon us.

Bye
Frederik