[OSM-talk] Who mapped it first with ref to forth coming deletions

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 16:31:34 GMT 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
> wrote:

> Doesn't make any difference to the CTs, but I've noticed but I'm not the
> first named author of a few ways which I'm 99.99% sure that I created: the
> ways with the ID 2232-2235. I still remember the surveying/editing session
> in which I created the ways.
>
> These were very early ways (spring 2006) so I'm guessing that recording
> the history of who created/edited ways only came in after that? However,
> ways with even lower IDs (e.g. 223) do have myself as original author.
> Curious as to why my involvement with the 223x ways appears to have been
> lost...

All history prior to 7th October 2007 was lost when the API was upgraded
from 0.4 to 0.5.

An email from that date confirms this[1]:

4. History cleared. History will continue to be written as before,
> but we have removed past history data from the database today. When
> accessing existing objects you can still see the person who last
> modified them (even if that modification was before the switch), but
> no details about any previous modifications.

Everything that was not version 1 on 7th October 2007 has an incomplete
history and ought to be considered to be unsafe.

80n

[1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-October/018638.html