[OSM-talk] Who mapped it first with ref to forth coming deletions - implication

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 19:34:58 GMT 2011

On 14 December 2011 20:14, Maarten Deen <mdeen en xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 14-12-2011 19:32, Richard Weait wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM, john whelan<jwhelan0112 en gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> So essentially all data that existed on this date will need to be deleted
>>> since we can't be sure who entered or edited it or if they have agreed to
>>> the new license if the .odbl database is to be "clean".
>>

>> That's quite a conclusion that you are jumping to there, John.  Of
>> responding accounts registered by then, more than 98.5% have accepted
>> CT/ODbL.
>
> Well, since all history of that data before API v0.5 is lost, and the oldest
> history known is of the last person editing it, you don't know who created
> it. Therefore you don't know if this data is created by someone who agrees
> to the CT and/or the license move.
>
> Isn't the conclusion then that that data should be deleted?

The conclusion should probably be that it needs to be treated as if v1
was not ODbL compatible.  With a clever enough algorithm this may not
always be the same thing.

However http://planet.osm.org/history/ contains daily diffs starting
from 2004-07-01.  But, it looks like only the last edit of each day is
kept which means that there may be edits by other users in between
these edits (?).

Cheers