[OSM-talk] Transition to CC-4 instead of destroying data

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Dec 15 03:52:13 GMT 2011

Nathan Edgars II writes:
 > I've read through many discussions, and the only reasons I've seen for
 > changing the license ASAP are based on the fear of someone "ripping off"
 > our work and our being powerless to do anything.

That is my understanding as well. I've been against relicensing from
the very beginning. It's simply not possible for OSM to be "ripped
off", because OSM is not the data; it's the community. Currently, we
are harming the community to preserve the data, which is exactly
bass-ackwards.

I think I'm going to say this once every six months or thereabouts.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog