[OSM-talk] [osmosis-dev] Osmosis replication fails

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Tue Dec 13 10:20:33 GMT 2011

On 13 December 2011 06:31, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a replication task set up, initially with a longer interval
> because my planet file is a few weeks old. I have had it running in a
> cron job with a two hour interval but I get a lot of errors similar to
> this one:
>
> SEVERE: Thread for task 1-rri failed
> org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.OsmosisRuntimeException: Unable to
> parse xml file /tmp/change8301792328184763034.tmp.  publicId=(null),
> systemId=(null), lineNumber=7384, columnNumber=3.
> Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 746;
> columnNumber: 3; The element type "osmChange" must be terminated by
> the matching end-tag "</osmChange>".

It sounds like the change files are incomplete.  Perhaps some of the
downloads are failing.  Is your network connection usually reliable?

> Out of 50 executions, this error appeared 23 times.
> I have my replication interval set to one day, could that be the problem?
> Processing (when it succeeds) takes about 90 minutes. I have the cron
> job set to execute every two hours.

How is your replication configured?  Specifically which replication files
are you using (ie. minute, hour or day)?  It may be worth switching to
files with a longer interval if you are patching a file to reduce the
number of downloads required.  Minute replication files would typically be
more suitable to patching a database where small files can be applied
quickly.

Brett