[OSM-talk] Transition to CC-4 instead of destroying data

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 15:53:28 GMT 2011

On 15 December 2011 16:42, Ed Avis <eda en waniasset.com> wrote:
> Henk Hoff <toffehoff <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>>Looking at the current situation, the ODbL is a step forward from the current
>>CC-BY-SA 2.0. When (in due time) CC4 proofs to be a better license then ODbL,
>>we could change to this license.
>
> If the new CC licence will be ready next year, why not keep the existing CC
> licence available as an option until then, in parallel with the ODbL?  Then when
> CC4 is finalized the OSMF can make the decision whether to drop CC altogether.
> But people can still take advantage of the extra permissions given by ODbL, too.

There exist cases where people are *now* using OSM under CC-By-SA,
with full respect of all of our community guidelines, where they will
have to stop using it if OSM becomes ODbL-only.  This is because share
alike licenses are incompatible with each other, even though as some
human-readable summary says the two licenses are similar in spirit.

Cheers