[OSM-talk] Splitting a way may completely hide a taint

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Dec 22 01:01:26 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 12/22/2011 01:15 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> The problem here is that, depending on which end you split it at and
> which portion you delete, the redrawn way has a one-half probability of
> being a new way and a one-half probability of having the same ID as the
> old way (in JOSM and Potlatch; other editors may differ).

True. Splitting a way may not only hide a taint, it may also look like
one where there's none - assume a decliner wants to create a relation
that contains only half of one way and therefore splits the way, without
ever adding any information to either of the halves. Both halves now, at
least superficially, look like they were modified or even created by a
decliner.

> So what's the deal?

Sounds like a policy decision to me - you can either be too cautious or
too careful but probably never do it exactly right. Policies should be
discussed on legal-talk.

Bye
Frederik