[OSM-talk] Looking Forward

ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen g.gremmen at cetest.nl
Sat Dec 24 20:30:05 GMT 2011

Frederick showed us some of the  problems of OSM itself (well done !),
pragmatic problems needing to be solved for OSM to survive, but once
solved do not change fundamentally change anything to OSM.
That is ok if OSM is perfect for the next 100 years or so, but
that will not be the case I believe.

Currently the ultimate goal anyone seems to pursue is data completion.
But, once every road and POI has been mapped, were done.
There is no structured vision yet upon what to do with that data.

We did not even develop a structured view on how we will be updating that
immense dataset.

What can and will the world do with OSM ?

Of course there is the dogma of allowing new and surprising
applications that would be possible with "open and free" data.
Such new applications have yet to be developed; most applications
made up to now are of a trivial level (where is my friend drinking),
direct but inferior copies of commercial applications (route planners),
or directed to the community itself (editors). No surprise app
that I heard of.
That is not surprise, we are currently just trying to get even with
the BIG boys, copying their achievements with only one
difference: our data is "free".

In order to become a real innovative map, we need to provide
innovative data (or means to extract it) ,not just "free" data.

Some ideas to create real innovative value:

A/ History
One of the first things that get into my mind is history.
Being able to show how the world was yesterday is something
no map maker ever made available on a simple and real time basis.
Of course OSM has not much of a history yet, but that will hopefully
change, and work need to be done
It will allow anyone to provide data on how this world progresses
be it agricultural, nature areas, road density or café's per square mile,
these data change, and it would be good if we had the tools to use that history.

B/ Third world
A second important thing will be to provide information to the third world,
countries where a simple paper map is simply not available, or outdated
or lists only those things that are politically correct. OSM, as
a user generated map, is able to make itself free from that limitations
and should innovate the way poor countries use maps.
HOT is one step into that direction, but by its nature triggered
by disasters is always lagging the need for data. Can OSM
provide means to those countries to get a grip on their own geo-data
and how ?

C/ Political
Maps are a view of the world seen from (most of the time) the western
hegemony on the world. Names of cities areas and countries and frontiers
are different and their spelling or geographic properties depend on
who you ask. By complying to our western view, we make a political choice;
a choice that will stand in the way of acceptance of our data.
Should we map Tibet as a country or as a part of China ? same for Taiwan.
Should we respect al kind of undefined local properties in Africa, and
what exact borders will their countries have. Examples in abundance if you
open your eyes for it.
I believe that we should allow our data users to extract the data complying
to their view of the world, within the view as defined by our mappers of
course. No need to seek for hidden border disputes of course.
That means that Tibet will be include as a part of China if rendered
within a China view , or as a independent country if rendered by
the dalai lama. It is not to us to comply with 1 (one) view of the world.

D/ Details
Apart from mapping conventions, and tagging styles (fixed of free),
how far should OSM go into detailing the world. Map resolution is currently
defined by the resolution of GPS and partly because of mapping conventions, but
with new GPS systems developing with sub-meter accuracy, should we allow
or mappers to map sub-meter details ?? It is possible now (in JOSM),
but do we desire so ? Will there be a need for even smaller points of interest,
and could that lead to mapping innovation ?

My 4 cents...

Gert