[OSM-talk] New tool in Potlatch 2 for areas that share a way

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 02:37:10 GMT 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> probably no. Landuse is describing the actual usage of the land. If
> there is only grass, it cannot be considered industrial, regardless of
> who owns the land.

Problem with that ruling is you would end up with tiny little
odd-shaped pockets of "industry" separated by space. Whereas I think a
large, unbroken region like this: http://osm.org/go/uGt0Ttv7- is
actually a lot more informative.

Furthermore, you might be reduced to categorising individual elements
of the factory. Would the administrative wing really be
landuse=industrial? Surely it should be landuse=commercial. etc etc.

I don't think there's any single answer that can give the right
information to every consumer. Sometimes OSM has to make actual
choices between different uses of the data.

Steve