[OSM-talk] New tool in Potlatch 2 for areas that share a way

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Tue Feb 1 07:42:18 GMT 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 12:13:54PM +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> I think a few of our tags aren't sufficiently well defined to be clear
> about which is correct. For example, say a steel manufacturer owns a
> large piece of land, at one end of which is a steel smelter. The rest
> is grass. Is the whole land landuse=industrial? Just the built-up
> section? Does the landuse correspond to the physical features or the
> zoning...

I would say it is the latter. If it is part of the steel mill (storage
area or something), then it should be landuse=industrial IMHO. If you
want to say it is covered with grass, then why don't you add
surface=grass? No renderer shows that? That is because current renderers
renders zones, but still a new one may be added that will be
surface-based.

For some purposes the 'landuse=industrial' information will be more
important, for other 'surface=grass'. These are different kinds of
information.

Greets,
        Jacek