[OSM-talk] Creative Commons: Use CC for databases

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue Feb 1 20:31:14 GMT 2011

Anthony wrote:
> I'd urge everyone, especially those who have not yet decided whether
> or not to agree to the Contributor Terms, to read this post by Mike
> Linksvayer of Creative Commons.

You forgot the link:

>  Most relevantly he asks us to:
>
> "use CC licenses for data and databases now, participate in the 4.0
> process, and upgrade when the 4.0 suite is released, or at least do
> not foreclose the possibility of doing so."

To make this clear, he does not address OSM directly, the blog post is
directed at the general public.

It is a very interesting statement, though. It is not, as you imply, a
reason for not agreeing to the Contributor Terms (these would still
allow us to go for CC 4.0 licenses), but I hope that the Foundation
keeps this development on the radar.

Tobias Knerr