[OSM-talk] Creative Commons: Use CC for databases

Sami Dalouche skoobi at free.fr
Wed Feb 2 04:18:39 GMT 2011

On 11-02-01 03:31 PM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
>> I'd urge everyone, especially those who have not yet decided whether
>> or not to agree to the Contributor Terms, to read this post by Mike
>> Linksvayer of Creative Commons.
> You forgot the link:
> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/26283
>
>>   Most relevantly he asks us to:
>>
>> "use CC licenses for data and databases now, participate in the 4.0
>> process, and upgrade when the 4.0 suite is released, or at least do
>> not foreclose the possibility of doing so."

Is the upgrade to 4.0 automatic, or do the data owners need to upgrade
to 4.0 ?

By reading the license text, I  understand that the upgrade is
automatic, but
since I'm no expert, I would appreciate some confirmation.

 From http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode :
ou may Distribute or Publicly Perform an Adaptation only under the terms
of [...] iii) a Creative Commons jurisdiction license (either this or a
later license version) that contains the same License Elements as this
License