[OSM-talk] New tool in Potlatch 2 for areas that share a way

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Feb 2 10:36:37 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 02/02/11 11:24, Steve Bennett wrote:
> Certainly that information is of use to someone, but I don't think OSM
> should try and be all things to all people. For starters, we simply
> don't have the manpower. In the Australian context, it looks like we
> might be able to do better than Google Maps, but having more
> information than Melway/Brisway/... will be a real challenge. Adding
> on the difficulty of the kinds of things you're talking about (plus
> everyone else's pet interests, like accessibility, micromapping, ...)
> is essentially impossible without a massive influx of contributors.

These things need not be, and have never been, global in OSM. If one
local community happens to have the manpower locally then it's great if
they manage to record all that detail, and we should be very careful not
to make decisions that keep them from doing so because we figured that
we'd never be able to collect that data for the whole country or the
whole world.

Bye
Frederik